What is Love?

I've never been one for words.  I find it hard to express certain things verbally.  When it comes to work, logic, or politics, I'm one of the most articulate people you will ever meet.  But when it comes to telling someone how I feel about them, I get tongue tied and can't find the right thing to say.  I can write about it all day long, or tell a friend how I feel about that special someone, but when it comes to telling the object of my affection, I become an unintelligible goofy girl.  Maybe that's why I told Mr. Banker I loved him in the middle of the night half asleep.
The fact that I have trouble with words has always made me strongly value actions.  Have you all heard of the 5 love languages?

Words of Affirmation
Acts of Service
Receiving Gifts
Quality Time
Physical Touch

I'm sure it is no surprise to anyone who knows me that I give and prefer to receive love via "Physical Touch".  You can click that link above to take the quiz and find out yours.  I very much express love through physical touch, and crave it as well.  But I think I do the other things a lot also, it is just my personality to give to others.

During our time together, I felt sure that Mr. Banker loved me--I didn't think he knew it yet, but I had no doubt in my mind that he did.  I thought his love language was quality time and physical touch.  I just can't figure out how I could have been so wrong.  Since I blocked him I haven't heard a peep from him.  It makes me feel that he doesn't care, that I was nothing to him.  The truth is, there is a part of me that thought blocking him would make him step up and be a man, and fix this.  He messed this up!  Not me.  It was his job to fix it.  The fact that he isn't tells me that I clearly didn't mean to him what I thought I did.

I just keep thinking back on these moments that made me believe he loved me, and wondering if it was an act, or if I misinterpreted them.  I remember these little things and begin to cry.

This moment where he was so loving and physically affectionate in front of a friend of his.

The way he held me all night when he stayed over.

Decorating the Christmas tree together, and how I was going to do it without him but he asked me to wait so that we could do it together.

The Rhode Island shot glass that I pretended in front of him didn't make me a giddy little girl inside.

The night he came over after all of this started, and he cried when I said "I'm not angry with you, just disappointed in you".

I really thought all those things were love.  I'm not sure I know how to tell when someone loves me anymore. 

Comments

  1. Well I did it, and for some strange reason I got this:


    Receiving Gifts

    Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures. Gifts are heartfelt symbols to you of someone else’s love and affection for you.


    :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend that I did this with also got 'Receiving gifts". It just means that it means a lot to you when someone puts enough thought and effort to give you a meaningful gift. It isn't a bad thing.

      I mean, who doesn't value all 5 love languages really?

      Delete
  2. I think that when it's love you don't have to wonder or second guess if they love you. You know and they aren't afraid to tell you.

    My love language is quality time. I've always known that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, I hate that you are going through all of this pain. Just know that you will find someone that you will never have to question their love for you. I hope that you can find it much sooner than I did. I can tell you though that when you do that you will be happier than you ever dreamed. I spent 40 years looking for love with all of the wrong men. The right one came to me when I least expected. I wish I could just talk to you sometimes and teach you everything that I have learned from all of my mistakes. You deserve so much happiness. Feel free to contact me any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After 20 yrs of marriage, I still wonder if my husband really loves me or if he just thinks he does and he never felt real passionate love. It's so hard to interpret another's feelings sometimes.

    BTW,,,Mine suits me to a tee!

    Acts of Service
    Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter. Finding ways to serve speaks volumes to the recipient of these acts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life ....or Something Like it

Ten Things Thursday

Shake Shake Shake, Shake your...... blender ball!