First let me say that this decision is in no way a reflection of how successful or not I feel that I've been.
Not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I think I've done great with my Lap Band friend. 108 pounds lost in this 18 months together. Sometimes she and I don't get along because she can be a fickle little bitch, but overall, we've really connected. I learned to chew chew chew, take smaller bites, what I can and can't eat. It's been a beautiful union, and I think my decision, when I made it, was the right decision for me.
Do I think I can get to my goal with this band? Hell yes I do!
So what's the problem?
It seems more and more insurance companies are having issues with the band or WLS in general. They don't want to cover this or that, and those of you who are banding can understand that the lap band is a LOT of follow up.
It is for any banded person, but especially for me with my leaking port.
When I was in the process of accepting my new job, I did some insurance research and was thrilled to find that UHC is a decent company for WLS care. AWESOME!
Until I get here and find out that my company has specifically excluded WLS from their plan.
So... my solution? I've chosen that for the rest of 2014, I will purchase insurance outside of my company.
That's not chump change people.
So what does that mean?
I NEED to be at goal by the end of 2014. I need my band to require less aftercare for financial reasons.
So, my port needs to be replaced. I already need surgery. I guess the question will be what kind of surgery.
My options right now are to replace my port and have plication done at the same time. I actually wanted this when I was originally banded but my WLS office did not have IRB approval for it at the time. They just received approval quite recently (less than 3 months ago). For anyone who doesn't know what plication is, they fold the stomach on top of itself under the band, which creates a "sleeve-like" effect.
Option number two would be complete revision to VSG. I think I'd prefer the band plus plication right now, but I will talk to my PA and get her opinion.
I don't think a complete revision to RNY would be available to me right now due to the amount of weight I've already lost. I'm not sure my BMI would be high enough. Current BMI is 35.1.
I guess I will have more information after Thursday, but I wanted to put all of this out there. If any of you have input/advice, or questions I should ask my PA, I'd love to hear it!