Family Future Sleever

I know I have talked on my blog in the past about my mom considering WLS before.  Back when I was banded she went to see a surgeon in Concord, NC to talk about the lapband, and the surgeon said that the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy would be a better option for her, given that my mom has diabetes that is not well controlled (by any stretch of the imagination).

That was at least 2 years ago and now she's considering it again.  The thing about my mom is that she is not really that overweight.  I mean, I would say she MIGHT be 50 pounds overweight.  She just has comorbidities to obesity that the surgery might help her.

I'm scared for her, but excited for her at the same time.  I'm glad she didn't go forward with getting banded, although I do worry about her not being able to stop losing weight after VSG.  But I guess that's not something I've seen a lot of from the ladies I follow on IG and such.

My mom broke her arm and had to have a kidney stone surgically removed already this year, so her maximum out of pocket for insurance is by far met.  I really want her to get the process started if she's going to do it so that it can be done in 2015-- I know more than anyone how difficult the approval process can be.  Her BMI is only around 36, but her diabetes are bad and she has sleep apnea as well.  I just want my mom to live a long, very healthy life.  She is truly one of my best friends and I want this for her so that I can have her in my life as long as possible.

I don't want to keep asking her if she's going to make the appointment, but I don't want her to miss the opportunity either.  I don't know if her insurance is going to require a 6 month waiting period like many do these days.  I have a severe dislike and distrust of insurance companies after my battle with Blue Cross Blue Shield NC last year, so I can't help feeling like she needs to get on it ASAP if this is going to happen.

Comments

  1. Fingers crossed that all of the insurance falls into place easily when needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in a tough position because she has to make the first move to succeed at WLS. It's hard to stand by isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life ....or Something Like it

Ten Things Thursday

Shake Shake Shake, Shake your...... blender ball!