Let's talk about plastic surgery...

These last few months... I've done a lot of thinking about brachioplasties and lower body lifts.  I have no idea whether or not I will need them, but I have a sneaky suspicion I might.  My stomach already looks like it is 'frowning' or 'deflated'.  I guess that is exactly what it is, deflated.  All the fat that used to be in there is gone (well not all, but a lot), so I look like a balloon that has lost it's air.

In general, I've never believed in plastic surgery.  I always thought it reinforces society's ridiculous standards of beauty (young, thin, white, etc.).  Why have a face lift to hide your age, because it also hides the ability to show emotions the way you normally would?  Why have a nose job to change your nose when your children (if you have them) have a 50/50 chance of sharing the nose you were born with?  Why have breast implants when it will reduce your sensation?

So does it make me a hypocrite to think it is okay to have plastic surgery in cases of breast cancer or weight loss?  I didn't think so.  Until I read this article .... Reading that, a part of me is inspired by her confidence, but another part is terrified because I know I wouldn't feel the same. 

Comments

  1. I loved that article you posted. No need to decide one way or another right now. I'm torn with the decision myself. For some people the extra skin becomes a health issue, lower back pain, skin break down. Plastics aren't always about vanity. And plastics after weight loss is more considered reconstructive surgery. Not saying plastics is needed either, each person is different. Right now, I'm good...when I get to my goal weight, I may feel differently? Who knows, either way everyone has her own journey and whatever YOU decide what is best for YOU does not make you a hypocrite. In cases of extreme weight loss, it's more than vanity, it's movement, skin health and pain...and what your tolerance is of these things...no beating yourself up, whatever you decide is best for you will be good and find people who will support you in that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life ....or Something Like it

Ten Things Thursday

Shake Shake Shake, Shake your...... blender ball!