A much needed friend

Sometimes the most profound relationships in our lives are the ones that are strictly platonic.  They are the ones that you should know will ALWAYS be there, because they love you and they don't have that added element that confuses things.

I met 4D in April.  We didn't meet on the most platonic of terms, but within a month it became clear that I just wasn't his type physically and I respect that.  I'm not going to pretend I think he is a saint, I know the good, the bad, and the ugly about him.  But I can say with a fair amount of certainty that he's one of the few I've known in my life that I'd categorize as a "good man".  He doesn't always do the right thing, in fact, he screws up just as much as the rest of us, but he seems to do things with the best of intentions and treat other with respect that I haven't observed with many men in my life.

At the same time, he's hard.  He's tough to get along with, and his friendship is often served with a giant dose of reality.  He tells it like it is and sometimes that can be difficult to swallow.  In our short 3 months of knowing each other, he's made me cry on a few occasions, but each time I know that he is, for the most part, trying to tell me what I might not want to hear, but need to hear.

So last night, he told me that if I'm going to continue engaging myself with Mr. Banker I should "go buy dog tags, a collar, and walk around on all fours, because you're allowing yourself to be treated like nothing more than a mutt".

Well Damn.

Ouch.

That was hard to hear.  But maybe he is right.  He said I need to respect myself more than I have been.  That I need to expect more from the people I allow in my life.  To surround myself with people that I can take from, that I can learn from, that I am better just for knowing, instead of always just being that person for everyone else.

He's right.

Comments

  1. yea he is right... what a way with words :) .. but sometimes we need people to be blunt to get through to us.. Banker has never appriciated you and the bad far out weighs the good times IMO. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth isn't always easy, fun or exciting to hear, but I'm so thankful you have someone in your life who can call a spade a spade. We all need friends like that who can give us perspective on life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life ....or Something Like it

Ten Things Thursday

32 Weeks Pregnant